Some example text

What is occupational personal accident cover?

If you are a limited company contractor or sole trader, and are injured as a result of an occupational accident or whilst commuting to work, then you could be left with a significant financial loss if you are unable to work.

With Kingsbridge's personal accident cover, you'll be paid a weekly benefit whilst you recuperate. Should your accident leave you with a permanent disability, or cause your death, then a lump sum will also be paid out.

As an employee, you would be looked after by the company you work for should you have an accident at work. However, as a contractor working through your own company, you may lose both your current contract as well any expected earnings if you cannot work, leaving you with no income.

You can see exactly what you're covered for under the terms of your occupational personal accident cover over on our What's Included page.

How much can personal accident cover payout?

You can get up to £500 a week for 52 weeks, meaning you won't have to worry about bills, the mortgage, or any of the other things you might take for granted when you're working and earning money. You’d also be able to claim a lump sum if your injury leaves you permanently unable to work.

Do you have any example personal accident claims?

A commissioning engineer fell and broke their arm at work, subsequently requiring several operations. They remained absent from work for the full 52 week payable limit. Their occupational personal accident insurance cover paid a weekly sum during this period.

An electrical engineering contractor sadly fatally electrocuted himself when installing a machine. The insurers paid the accidental death benefit specified in the terms of their occupational personal accident insurance cover to their estate.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is occupational personal accident cover?
  • Occupational personal accident provides cover if you are injured at work or whilst commuting to work. This could either be a weekly amount or a lump sum, depending on the circumstances. Note this would not cover critical illness or death that was not a result of an incident at work, you would find this cover under critical illness cover or life insurance.
  • Will I be covered for sickness or non-work related accidents?
  • No, this scheme includes occupational personal accident cover which only applies if you are injured at work or whilst commuting to work.
  • Does personal accident cover commuting to work?
  • Yes, whether you're injured in your home office, commuting to work, or at work, either in the UK or abroad, occupational personal accident cover will protect you.


  • 1 in 5 contractors have not received a conclusive result from the HMRC CEST tool. In instances where the tool can… 23 Feb 2021
  • #askandy ? Our Head of Tax Andy Vessey is always here to answer any of your #IR35 related questions! Click the lin… 22 Feb 2021
  • #feedbackfriday ???? 19 Feb 2021


Kingsbridge Contractor Insurance
9 Miller Court
GL20 8DN
01242 808740